Tersa crafts! (tersacrafts) wrote,
Tersa crafts!
tersacrafts

Zen and the Art of Frogging

There was a time when the thought of having to rip out a sock would reduce me to a state of 'Bored now!' If I had to do a major frog job on a sock, it generally got tossed back into the sock stew that is my stash bin until I could come to terms with losing that many hours of work.

Somewhere in the last four months, I've gone through a conversion. Gone zen. Made my inner peace with sock frogging. Because I haven't knit a sock since the Thraven Lenore sock back in February that I haven't had to rip a significant chunk out of: I had to completely rip out most of a sock with the Blue Parade when I had the wrong gauge; I ripped and re-ripped the heel of the Panda Cotton Socks while I experimented with one I was happy with, in addition to swatching lace patterns for the cuff, on the sock itself, until I settled on one I liked; and I ripped back about half of a finished cuff on the Chocolate Cherry socks until I figured out they actually fit. And I've barely batted an eye in doing so.

I think some of it is attributable to the fact that I'm not just following a pattern any more. I'm going off the beaten path into the realm of customization that requires a certain amount of trial and error, and a willingness to know when to cut my losses and backtrack.

It's not perfect. I have two pairs of 'finished' socks that are patiently waiting on additional work from me--the Blue Parade socks to decide whether or not I can live with the fact that I forgot to put matching increases on the calf of the second sock, and last year's Rockin' Sock Club Knee High to a Grasshopper socks, in which I need to pick out the bind-off and rip back the ribbing to add elastic into the top of the cuff so they'll frakking stay up on my leg.

But I comment on this at all because I wound up ripping back from nearly the heel to toe on my latest pair of socks, a variation of Wendy Johnson's Lucy Socks, because of a random comment someone made at Purlescence on Monday: "Those look bigger than I would expect a sock to look." Well, that was because I figured the STR Lightweight ~= Claudia Fingering in terms of gauge, and it wasn't.

Oops.

I could've switched to the smaller needles (US: 0 vs. the US: 1's I'd started on) and just kept going, but then the foot of sock #1 would be a different size than sock #2, and I couldn't tolerate that. So, out it came.

Rip. There goes almost a week of work.
 
Tags: knit: socks
Subscribe

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments