However, I started writing a 'real' blog post about my evening last night, realized it was mostly knit content that most of my friends list wouldn't give a crap about and thought 'you know...I have a blog for that purpose'. So here I am. :)
It's gotten damn hot here in the San Francisco Bay Area this week, with temperatures into the 90's the past three days. And with it has come the resolution to finish my first summer knitwear project: a Chic Knits Ribby Shell I've been working on for almost two years now.
(Yarn: Cascade Pima Tencel, in the black and teal colorways. This photo was taken a while ago)
I don't know why I've been so slow to work on it...but there you go. Other projects keep leaping--ooo, shiny!--into my awareness, and between that and poor project time management, I've only now gone back to finishing it up. Sad thing was? When I pulled it out on Saturday, I realized I'd finished the back and had only the V-necked front to go. That's pretty pathetic.
Except, it couldn't possibly be that easy. Oh, no. Because as I neared completion of the front right side, kiyowaramiyuki — and nathaniaapple — looked at it and said "That armhole's not nearly long enough." And, sure enough, it wasn't--somehow or other I'd shorted the back a full inch, inch-and-a-half of length for the armscythe.
There were some unladylike words. And then some unladylike muleheaded stubborness, with a determination to bull my way through this and get it done. Yesterday lunchtime at Purlescence featured me ripping out the bindoff on the back and picking up the stitches to add the length; last night saw me finishing that up. I have to weave in ends (which I HATE) and seam up the straps, and it will be DONE.
But my brain has already progressed to starting a new, similar project, thanks in part to this abominable heat. Digging into my stash, I discovered I had a white cotton blend yarn I'd picked up to make some kind of tank or shell with at a Shop sale--on top of the Tahki Cotton Classic (in Eggplant) I'd succumbed to on Saturday and the Fiber Fiend Linen Yarn (in Peacock) that I'd actually been on the search for. So, I have options.
The whole point in pulling out the linen yarn, though, was that I'd knit a test swatch of it last year and noticed that it bled dye like crazy during the blocking process. I hadn't felt up to dealing with it back then, which is why it had been stuffed back into my stash to marinate some more. This whole "want to knit more tank/shell tops" drive goosed me into the process of tackling that--which involved seeing if there was anything I could do to further set the dye (google 8-ball says: no), and when that failed to pan out, how to deal with it, which was to soak it in a bathtub full of hot water repeatedly until it stopped releasing dye--which took three cycles. During that process, I went through almost as many cycles of fear-spikes followed by relief that thank god this is not a yarn I have to worry about felting. :)
Before I could do that, though, I had to re-skein the one hank I'd balled up, which meant finding the niddy noddy buried somewhere in the sea of knitting paraphanelia and yarn (I found it in the tub of sock yarn). Thank goodness for good knitting friends and a packrat nature!
So the linen yarn is hanging up in the bathtub drying in what is projecting to be another scorcher of a day. Gauge swatching will commence this evening on all three yarns, and then I have to decide which one I'm going to use and for which project. Current candidates include:
Maybe posting here will get me off my arse to photograph my recently completed socks, especially since, as far as I know, none exist out there as yet for nathaniaapple — 's Stained Glass Socks....